[Wine] Older DirectX games, choppy

szilagyic wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Aug 27 21:21:17 CDT 2009

Hello:

I've been a user of Wine for quite some time, but have an issue that I cannot figure out.  Hopefully it is somewhat simple.

I'm trying to get some older kids games working (most of the games are dated around 2002 or so).  I know they use some version of DirectX.  They aren't even 3D, they are all 2D games.  The issue is that some of them are really choppy, and the sound is equally as choppy in them so that they are not playable.

It seems that the newer the game, the better it runs.  In fact the newest 3D games run really smooth.  The older 2D games are the ones causing me issues.

My system exceeds the requirements of the games by a significant amount.  I'm using a dual proc PIII with 512 MB RAM, with an nVidia GeForce 6200 with 512 MB of video RAM.  Wine is version 1.1.23, running in Win98 mode, and I have created a clean .wine directory and installed clean versions of the games, and still have the same issues.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to anything I can try??  I've tried tweaking some of the Direct3D settings in Wine's registry with no luck.

Thank you very much!!!

--
Chris