[Wine] progress of sound update -- REVISED

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 20:56:20 CDT 2009

2009/8/29 Susan Cragin <susancragin at earthlink.net>:
>>>Why do you need to install esound?
>
>>ALSA has shipped with "dmix" by default since shortly after 1.0 was
>>released, though I think Ubuntu's pulse config can screw with it even
>>after pulseaudio is removed.
>
> I'd forgotten about dmix, it's been so long. Good old dmix and dsnoop (which is what I need for incoming sound).
> I THINK MAYBE dmix works and dsnoop does not, because it's listed when I open Audacity.
> I'll have to give it a try.
>
> However, without installing esound, I don't see "dmix" and "dsnoop" but I do see "default." And "default" freezes. Perhaps that's them, and they just don't work?

esound is its own system. It will prevent standard ALSA stuff from
working properly, and apps need to explicitly support esound to use
it.

Also, if your soundcard is an X-Fi, you probably have hardware mixing
(when ALSA can use it; pulse and esound will still screw with it). In
that case, it might be difficult for you to test dmix (and KNOW that
you're testing dmix). I don't know enough about dsnoop though :)