[Wine] Problems running WarCraft III: Reign of Chaos in WINE

Maritim wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Aug 29 13:18:11 CDT 2009

Hi everyone!

I am trying to run WarCraft III: Reign of Chaos in Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope, on a MacBook Pro. However when I try to run the game the screen first goes black, appearing to be loading the game, then it returns to the desktop but I seem unable to use any of the icons on my desktop or any of the programs, something which I think implies that the game is still running, but that some bug has occurred.

This is the error message I am getting:

> martin at bomba:~$ wine .wine/drive_c/Programfiler/Warcraft\ III/war3.exe
> err:ole:CoCreateInstance apartment not initialised
> fixme:advapi:SetSecurityInfo stub
> fixme:d3d:IWineD3DImpl_FillGLCaps OpenGL implementation supports 32 vertex samplers and 32 total samplers
> fixme:d3d:IWineD3DImpl_FillGLCaps Expected vertex samplers + MAX_TEXTURES(=8) > combined_samplers
> fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32f3a0,0x00000000), stub!
> fixme:d3d:IWineD3DImpl_FillGLCaps OpenGL implementation supports 32 vertex samplers and 32 total samplers
> fixme:d3d:IWineD3DImpl_FillGLCaps Expected vertex samplers + MAX_TEXTURES(=8) > combined_samplers
> fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32f778,0x00000000), stub!
> fixme:d3d:IWineD3DImpl_FillGLCaps OpenGL implementation supports 32 vertex samplers and 32 total samplers
> fixme:d3d:IWineD3DImpl_FillGLCaps Expected vertex samplers + MAX_TEXTURES(=8) > combined_samplers
> fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32f384,0x00000000), stub!
> err:xrandr:X11DRV_XRandR_SetCurrentMode Resolution change not successful -- perhaps display has changed?
> err:xrandr:X11DRV_XRandR_SetCurrentMode Resolution change not successful -- perhaps display has changed?
> fixme:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Add OpenGL context recreation support to SetDepthStencilSurface
> err:x11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found 800x600x32 @75! (XRandR)
> err:x11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found 800x600x32 @70! (XRandR)
> err:xrandr:X11DRV_XRandR_SetCurrentMode Resolution change not successful -- perhaps display has changed?
> fixme:quartz:AVISplitter_InitializeStreams stream 1: frames found: 2172570, frames meant to be found: 2173350
> fixme:d3d:IWineD3DImpl_FillGLCaps OpenGL implementation supports 32 vertex samplers and 32 total samplers
> fixme:d3d:IWineD3DImpl_FillGLCaps Expected vertex samplers + MAX_TEXTURES(=8) > combined_samplers
> fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32e008,0x00000000), stub!
> fixme:quartz:AsyncReader_QueryInterface No interface for {56a868b5-0ad4-11ce-b03a-0020af0ba770}!
> fixme:quartz:Parser_QueryInterface No interface for {56a868b5-0ad4-11ce-b03a-0020af0ba770}!
> err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x14424c "videorenderer.c: VideoRendererImpl.csFilter" wait timed out in thread 0009, blocked by 001f, retrying (60 sec)

This is my setup:
3rd generation MacBook Pro (Santa Rosa)
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz
2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
120GB harddrive
nVidia GeForce 8600M GT, running the nVidia driver version 180.44

I must also mention that I am using an external monitor as my only monitor, with an external keyboard and external mouse. My MacBook Pro is always closed, and therefore I have disabled the MacBook Pro monitor and set my external monitor as a "Separate X screen".

Does anyone have any experience with this situation, and know of a fix?