[Wine] selinux treating WINE aps as viruses in Fedora 12

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Dec 1 04:28:09 CST 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 20:01 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:
> relovin wrote:
> > I ma trying to run Airmail with Wine in Fedora 12 with SELinux security
> > enabled.  It worked well under Fedora 10.  I get an AVC error and
> > a comment that SELinux thinks my application is acting like a virus.
> >

> At least SELinux sees Windows or Windows like activity as a virus :)
>
> You may have to edit SELinux to allow Wine to run and access ports as
> needed.   You should access a forum/list for SELinux to gather
> information on how to do this.

I'm running Fedora 10 on a small LAN that's entirely under my control
and has a NAT gateway to the wider world. Personally, I find SELinux
more trouble than its worth, so the first thing I do after a clean
install is to disable it.

More particularly, as long as you only run packages it knows about and
you use their standard configurations its not a problem, but step over
those boundaries and it gets in the way. For instance, it will stop
Apache from accessing user-specific web segments in ~/public_html
because its default is to assume that web pages are all
in /var/www/html.

Martin