[Wine] Re: Cannot run Rise of Nations when overrides set to native

NWSlacker wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Dec 5 10:48:57 CST 2009

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I tried turning on the virtual desktop, it didn't make a lick of difference. Audio is set to use coreaudio (it's the only option I have)

I think that it's a problem with directx. The application only fails to load if I have those directx dll overrides set to native. Hardware acceleration is set to full, but using emulation makes no difference. The dll's that I have set to override are in the windows/system32 folder.

I decided to try with a clean slate. I deleted the prefix and created a new one. I used the appropriate winetricks, no issues. I installed the application, no issue. I tried running the application, now the game quits with the message "DirectX 9 failed to initialize. Either DirectX 9 is not installed on this system, or your hardware does not support DirectX 9. I tried running dxdiag, but it won't launch at all.

I doubt that this new macbook pro lacks the hardware needed to load DirectX 9. Just to be sure that DirectX 9 is installed properly, I ran the d3dx9 winetrick again, no errors given, but the application will not launch unless I set those dll overrides to built-in, in which case the application launches, but there is no sound.

What might I be missing?