[Wine] Re: Memory Limitations for WINE 1.1.33 under Mac OS Leopard

tpatko wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Dec 5 16:40:09 CST 2009

Dear WINE Developers and Users:

Thank you very much for your assistance about my question related to maximum memory allocation for WINE 1.1.33 build under Mac OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard.  Indeed modification the __wine__dos variable in loader/main.c to a larger value did exactly what my project required.  Using this modification I was able to successfully allocate up to ~ 1838MB per process (using a real world parallel 8-core MPI test job for a total of 14,704MB in aggregate) when built under Snow Leopard and up to ~ 1655MB per process when built under Leopard (also using this same real world parallel 8-core MPI test job for a total of 13,240MB in aggregate).  I just thought that I would report my results in case they are useful for any other Mac users that need to use WINE for HPC type applications.

I do have two follow-up questions if you would be so kind as to assist me once again:

1) How can I package the custom binary that were built with the modified loader/main.c?  All I need is for this WINE binary to be portable for use on other Mac Users machine.  I plan to distribute separate WINE binaries for Leopard and Snow Leopard packages.  I just want to make sure that there are no path of library dependency issues that I should be concerned with.

I know that I can do a "make install" but this will drop everything into my /usr/local/bin directory.  I need to have all of the custom build WINE binaries (and dependencies if necessary) drop into a single directory which I can then include with my own Windows binaries and call to run my Windows programs.  Is there an easy way to do this?  I know that there are way to build WINE into a more robust application (as with Winebottler,...etc) but I do not need anything this complex.  Since this WINE binary will be intended for use ONLY with this one program, I just need all of the WINE binaries delivered into a single directory without path or dependencies issue so that it the Windows binary can be run on any user's machine simply by calling this WINE binary to whatever location it will ultimately end up getting installed.

I hope that this request makes sense.  I suppose that I could just copy the directory where I built WINE, but this directory is HUGE at over 400MB.  I would like to make it as small as possible while ensuring that it still functions properly.

2) Is there anything special that I need to do to comply with the WINE license to distribute binary packages only?  I made ONLY the change to the __wine_dos memory allocation variable (that is it).  Is it sufficient for me to document my single change when redistributing binary package only or must all of the source code be distributed as well.

Thank you for all of the assistance to date and I look forward to finishing this project with your continued patience and help.

Cheers,

Thomas