[Wine] Re: Memory Limitations for WINE 1.1.33 under Mac OS Leopard

tpatko wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Dec 6 08:34:46 CST 2009

Dear doh123:

Thank you for the reply.  I have looked at Wineskin and am I now sure that this is exactly what I would need.  I ONLY need to package the compiled wine binaries into a portable single directory (it actually does not need to be a native Mac .app at all unless this is for some reason truly necessary).  My slightly custom build of WINE runs perfectly from where I built it and I can copy it to different directory locations and this seems to run just fine as well.  What I am concerned about it whether it will run fine on user's machine as well or whether there are some runtime dependency issues with just copying it to a different machine as is.  The other issue is to try and make it as SMALL as humanly possible, as the current size at over 400MB (uncompressed) is just really, really big.

Essentially I would hoping that there was a tool to do what Mike Kronenberg does to make just the Wine.app type distribution (although again for me a regular directory rather than a *.app type structure is just fine).  For my application I do not care at all about any graphical compatibility issues (my single Windows program is wine32 console app so the graphical issues are completely irrelevant).

http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/

In terms of my modification, it is only a single change to the loader/main.c file as follows:

#ifdef __APPLE__

__asm__(".zerofill WINE_DOS, WINE_DOS, ___wine_dos, 0x78000000");
__asm__(".zerofill WINE_SHAREDHEAP, WINE_SHAREDHEAP, ___wine_shared_heap, 0x03000000");
extern char __wine_dos[0x78000000], __wine_shared_heap[0x03000000];

That is it.  Everything else is build in a purely default way.  Essentially just changed the "0x40000000" to "0x78000000" to limit the upper memory allocation bound.  I have done some rather extensive testing and this works in a stable way for my application of interest (and my WINE package distribution would NOT be intended for use with any other Windows applications).  I do build separately for Leopard and Snow Leopard as I get better performance in Snow Leopard when I build it in SL.  I have no plans to support Tiger any longer (user that need Tiger support can still use the previous release).

Does my questions make more sense now?

Sorry if I was not clear.

Thanks,

Thomas