[Wine] Re: Memory Limitations for WINE 1.1.33 under Mac OS Leopard

tpatko wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Dec 7 10:49:47 CST 2009

Dear doh123:

Thank you for the response.  I do have some follow-up questions and comments if you please.

The app structure is the best for OSX, and easy to move around and work, just throw it on any machine in any folder and double click and run the app, just like its a native OSX app.... but if you just want a folder with wine in it, that works too.

OK.  For me it does not make any difference to have it as a .app or just an ordinary directory except if this improves portability across different OS versions and machines.  How do I convert my WINE build into a .app?

if you build it on the same OS version you want to run it on, and just move it and run it under X11.app... thats not hard at all.

I do not care about X11 compatibility as my application is a win32 console only application.  Even none of the graphical components work at all, my application will none the worse for this.  So far it seems OK, to just copy and paste the build directory to different machines, I was just more concerned about how BIG the complete build directory was.

Any library missing on the other machine that is needed, that Wine was compiled against, you will figure out pretty easy when you actually try to move it and run it, it will give errors about missing libraries... then you know to add those libraries in.

I would hope that there are not any missing libraries as I have just done a default build with few if any modules enabled (the --verbose configure lists lots of things that were in fact not built).

build wine to a custom prefix... when you build it, so you get just the files you need for wine, not a bunch of extra junk... you can do this with the --prefix command on ./configure. if yours is 400mb your getting a bunch of extra stuff. full wine build should be around 100mb... less if you disable a bunch of stuff in configure you don't need. If it complains about not being able to find certain libraries, just make a launch script that adds in DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH to the folders of any libraries it complains about... so if it doesn't find them, it will check where you told it to check.

Can you please provide me _EXACTLY_ the configure options that I should use for example to build to the ultimate directory path /Applications/Firefly/WINE for example such that it will have maximum portaibility across OS and difference machines?  My default build just using ./configure --disable-win16 is what yielded the 400MB+ total directory size (this include the original source code and the resulting binaries).  I would indeed very much like this to shrink to the ~100MB size that you indicate (this seems to tractable).

I thank you very much for your assistance.

Best Regards,

Thomas Patko