[Wine] Re: Memory Limitations for WINE 1.1.33 under Mac OS Leopard

doh123 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Dec 7 11:47:07 CST 2009

tpatko wrote:

> I do not care about X11 compatibility as my application is a win32 console only application.  Even none of the graphical components work at all, my application will none the worse for this.  So far it seems OK, to just copy and paste the build directory to different machines, I was just more concerned about how BIG the complete build directory was.

Wine requires X11, it will be compiled against X11 installed on the machine.... you have little choice in that.  You could add in the winequartz.drv driver for OSX to the source code and modify it to use that instead... but its very far from good, and wont run most things, but it might work if you don't need graphical stuff, but it would probably be waaaay too much of a headache.... much better to stick with the winex11.drv

tpatko wrote:

> Can you please provide me _EXACTLY_ the configure options that I should use for example to build to the ultimate directory path /Applications/Firefly/WINE for example such that it will have maximum portaibility across OS and difference machines?  My default build just using ./configure --disable-win16 is what yielded the 400MB+ total directory size (this include the original source code and the resulting binaries).  I would indeed very much like this to shrink to the ~100MB size that you indicate (this seems to tractable).

Are you not installing it?  maybe your just building it and ending with the "make" command and running it out of the source folder?  Thats a ton of wasted space as well.

to install you first do the ./configure, then a make depend, then a make, then a make install .... if you left off the make install and run it from the source folder, you will have a huge folder.

when you go to configure, do a

Code:
./configure --help

and look at all the options you have... you can specify MANY things.  I have no idea which all ones will suit your needs because I just don't have enough information... you can put many many flags on a ./configure though.  I'd recommend at minimum to set a prefix on it, and to do a "make install" at the end to install to that prefix... something like this.

Code:

./configure --prefix=/Applications/Wine --disable-win16
make depend
make
make install

this will make Wine build for, and install to running in /Applications/Wine
There are also many other --without commands you can see o the help, to build without things you don't need.