[Wine] Trying to Install Wine on Snow Leopard OSX

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Mon Dec 7 19:44:10 CST 2009

sigma wrote:
> Error: You cannot install wine-devel for the architecture(s) i386
> Error: because /opt/local/lib/libexpat.dylib only contains the architecture(s) x86_64.
> Error: Try reinstalling the port that provides /opt/local/lib/libexpat.dylib with the +universal variant.
> Error: Target org.macports.extract returned: incompatible architectures in dependencies
Do what it says:

-> sudo port install expat +universal

There's probably more ports that need to be installed that way. If it
gives you another filename (like /opt/local/lib/libexpat.dylib), just run:

-> port provides <filename>

where <filename> is the name of the file, and it will tell you which
port provides that file. Then you can install it +universal with:

-> sudo port install <portname> +universal

where <portname> is the name of the port that 'port provides' told you
provides <filename>.

> I tried the basic wine
> -> sudo port install wine
>
> but it failed at the end because wine 1.x did not support snow leopard. but what's wrong with the devel build?
You don't want that version anyway. It's over a year old.

Nothing's wrong with wine-devel, you just need to install some ports
+universal to get it to work on Snow Leopard. (I take it you're on SL,
right?)

HTH

Chip