[Wine] Strange Applications' Wine submenu behaviour

laeg wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Dec 8 05:38:08 CST 2009

Some months ago I incorrectly tried to upgrade/uninstall/reinstall WINE and ever since my Applications' Wine and Other submenus has just not been right.

Instead of the Wine submenu having neat little submenus for every Windows program I had installed, just like Program Files/All Programs, it now instead has 3 entries and everything has been put messily into the Other submenu, see below:

[Image: http://i45.tinypic.com/v6rbzm.jpg ][Image: http://i46.tinypic.com/314ffir.jpg ]

My last attempt at fixing it was yesterday. I removed WINE using synaptic and then through nautilus moved the .wine dir in ~ to trash and deleted it. Then leaving my /home partition intact I formatted my / partition before freshly installing Ubuntu 9.10 from disc.

On boot I reinstalled WINE only to find I still had the same problem and curiously enough even the messy Other menu whose symlinks lead to files which no longer exist. To test the Wine menu I quickly installed a small Windows program and it failed to give me a sub menu for it in Applications >> Wine >> as it should and did before.

Perhaps I need to first remove a file which governs the Applications menu from my /~ dir before reinstalling the system again?

Also, I don't remember having these windowsprogram.desktop and windowsprogram.ink files cluttering up my desktop before I initially had the problem so it may be related?