[Wine] magic workstation0.94f instaler return access violation error Ubuntu9.10wine1.1.31

gnumaru wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Dec 8 08:14:48 CST 2009

Magic Workstation is a Windows only program used to play "magic: the gathering" online.

I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 and wine 1.1.31

I tried to install the latest version o magic workstation (0.94f) using wine but the installer returns a window with the message "Access violation at address 0040C54A. Write of address 00400000." and a "OK" button that closes the installer. Running wine trough the terminal returns no error message, although.

Searching at appdb.winehq.org to see if the program really works under wine, I found that it is gold rated on wine version 1.1.25 (and probably above).
Searching other forums about magic, and about magic workstation, I founded no one with the same problems as me. I have, indeed, found some issues regarding the program itself, but none about installers not working. And with even deeper google research, I still haven't found no one with the same problem.

What I found was something regarding a known bug, which could somewhat be related to my problem,
http://wiki.winehq.org/PreloaderPageZeroProblem

But, even running wine as super-user, changing .wine owner to root and/or using the command workaround described there, I didn't managed to solve the problem.

What upsets me more is that as much as I search, it appears that no single person in the whole universe has the same problem.

I started thinking it was wine's problem, not magic workstation's problem. But I tried to run other installers under wine and they just seemed to be ok (I just launched the installers, not effectively installed the applications).

That's it. I just don't know what to do.
I there is some relevant info about my system that I should post, just tell me.

I Know there is a winedbg command, but I don't know exactly how it works, and if it would be able to help me.

And please, forgive for my english. I'm a portuguese speaker and I have never had english classes.