[Wine] Re: Photoshop CS2 Refuses to Install

DaVince wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Dec 10 17:11:37 CST 2009

Gert van den Berg wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 07:41, GoremanX <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>
> > Oh wow, that's a terrible statement. That's like "If you don't know how, then don't do it". Or "If you have to ask, you can't afford it". Highly unhelpful, especially in open source.
> >

> Wine doesn't want to help people to corrupt their Windows install by
> pointing the wine C drive to it... (Which they tend to do if they
> haven't read some documentation)

Well, that's not quite the same problem here. The user has his Wine dir on a network share, which makes Wine's C: act as a network share, too. Comparing to Windows is difficult as you just can't have a C: that comes from a network as far as I'm aware.

> Meanwhile, this has been a known bug all along that needs fixing.

As I said, there are some complications in the way you tried to use Wine that might make fixing it actually more difficult than you'd expect.

I do agree on your point that a configuration dialog is available but greyed out because of fear for the "stupidity of users". Don't make that interface, then. I just assumed it wasn't actually made yet, just like how the advanced audio control panel isn't implemented yet.