[Wine] Re: Arguments for Wine on windows/incremental adoption

oiaohm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Dec 11 04:56:50 CST 2009

James Mckenzie:

> Really? Hmmm. There is a lot of work left to fully support the Windows API. I've been working on a RichEdit function for over a year now to get it to work like the WindowsXP version.

Did I say they worked right.  I said they could be built for windows not that they work.  If developer wanted to use them for any reason they could now.  Even that I suspect no sane developer would touch them.

> Really, you have proof of this? I have proof of the exact opposite. This project is over ten years old, which is a long time in the computer world. I expect it to be around for a long time. There will be Windows programs that will NEVER, EVER be ported into MacOSX versions, let alone UNIX versions. Sure there are Java programs, but most of them are at the server level and programs that the average user will never see.

Yes lot of businesses I deal with.  Wine is nothing more than stop gap.   Programs that don't exist on Linux when equal on Linux is found those become supported and the long term windows applications dropped completely.

> And there are functions in .NET that QT and KDE will never have.

Please list.  Don't be ASP.NET its dead in the water against PHP.    I guess you forget QT scripting.   Most people who say .net has functions .net does not turn out not to do there home work on how far QT and KDE extends.

> Think about this: 90+ of all computers, world-wide run Windows, even Macs. Less than 1% run Linux and most of them are servers. Which audience would YOU go for?

Now if you numbers were truly the complete number it might be correct.

QT and KDE is not about the 1% Linux market.  Its about the 60+ percent phone market + Mac + Windows + Linux.  QT is nokia the phone maker.  All the mobile phones will support applications built in QT.  People like to forget that.

Sorry compared to the numbers of phones out there 90+ of desktop computers is nothing.  Seriously nothing.  40 percent of the moblie phone market is more.

So far I have not seen a single .net program without a better native program.  I class .net programs as Visual Basic programs they come and go.  Long term fade out of existence due to run-time issues.

You are already seeing the fade out of .net in web applications.

There is no legal .net that is trust-able that works for Linux or Mac OS.  We will find out in 3 years time if mono is just a legal trap.