[Wine] how to install wine on a mac

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Fri Dec 11 09:35:25 CST 2009

kaan wrote:
> i try to install wine on my mac, and it says go to ./tools/wineinstall
>
> but that file opens with a program called ' terminal '. and it says i opened the wineinstall file with a wrong program.
>
> can anyone help me please !?  :(
Don't use wineinstall. It's broken, and deprecated.

Which version of Mac OS X are you running? Are you running it on an
Intel Mac? You have to have an Intel-based Mac to run Wine. To find out
both, click on the Apple menu and choose "About This Mac".

If you're installing Wine from the source tarball (a file that ends in
.tar.gz or .tar.bz2 or some such, and I assume you are), you have to use
the Terminal app. I can tell you're not familiar with the command line,
so at this point there's two things you can do:

- The easy way is to use a 3rd-party app like WineBottler or CrossOver.
They both have nice friendly GUIs, so you won't have to bother with the
command line. But be warned: if you do use a 3rd-party wrapper around
Wine, don't expect to get help here. They aren't supported here.
- The hard way is to learn how to use the Terminal, but somehow I get
the impression that you don't want to do it that way. In case you do,
however, I suggest doing a Google search for "Unix tutorials" or some such.

HTH

Chip