[Wine] No opengl support compiled in

ryan woodsmall rwoodsmall at mac.com
Sun Dec 13 01:54:02 CST 2009

On Dec 12, 2009, at 6:10 PM, James McKenzie wrote:
> Here is something that I would like to comment on:  Maintaining two
> versions of a very large package, like X11, is mainly a waste of time
> and resources.

James, one point: MacPorts X11 *IS* Xquartz.  Jeremy Huddleston from UC Berkeley and Apple is the Xquartz maintainer, and the version of X11 in MacPorts is his baby too.  Grep for "jeremyhu" in the MacPort's x11 directory Portfile files.  It's all the same code.

Generally source changes shake down to MacPorts (or Xquartz) devel versions, then Xquartz alphas or betas, then Xquartz releases and finally straight from Apple after QA.  It's all the same code, with the same maintainer, and the multiple entry points actually helps find bugs instead of hurting the development process.  The only thing lost is disk space, and using something like MacPorts or Xquartz packages allows updates without breaking your mainline distribution.

Fink's X11, last time I checked, was an entirely different beast, and one of the main reasons I steer clear of Fink.  These days I steer clear of MacPorts and homebrew too, but using X11 from MacPorts is just fine and does have some advantages.

  -ryan