[Wine] Re: Memory Limitations for WINE 1.1.33 under Mac OS Leopard

tpatko wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Dec 13 18:09:26 CST 2009

Dear WINE Developers (particularly those that test builds on Mac):

Thank you so very much for all of the assistance!  It seems that my builds using your instructions worked quite nicely.  I was able to ultimately build WINE 1.1.33 under both Leopard and Snow Leopard to support setting the __wine_dos memory variable (in loader/main.c) to 1920MB (with 1914MB per process addressable by programs).  This was quite an improvement.  There was excellent stability even when all of the memory was allocated (running at 99%+ load for all 8-cores with an MPI run on a dual quad with well over 13GB aggregate memory addressed running for multiple days).  I am quite pleased with this result.

Ultimately I did this based upon the standard 1.1.33 source.

./configure --prefix=/Applications/Firefly/WINE --disable-win16
make depend
make
make install

with /Applications/Firefly/WINE being the location for the WINE build that was included with the Windows binary (which was contained at /Applications/Firefly).  I did have to make separate build for Leopard (10.5.8) and Snow Leopard (10.6.2) to achieve optimal performance under each OS.

My application would particularly benefit it there would be some possibility to have a 32/64-bit multilib build of WINE.  I suspect that this would only be possible on Snow Leopard if at all.  It is OK for me if this code is not yet stable (alpha) as I am game to test it to see if it will work for a Windows console only application.  Are any any releases versions that contains configure/build flags that would support a 32/64-bit multilib build on Snow Leopard?  If so I would be game to test this and work with any developer that are actively moving on this front.

Cheers,

Thomas