[Wine] Sound issue with either WINE or World of Warcraft...

lupusnoctu wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Dec 14 19:02:23 CST 2009

I'm having an issue with my 5.1 surround sound system in World of Warcraft, but I don't know if it's a problem with WINE or with WoW.  Either WINE or WoW is swapping my front and rear channels, so, for example, when someone runs past me from behind in WoW, it sounds like they're coming from ahead of me. The left and right channels are fine. During casual play, it's not much of an issue, but in dungeons and battlegrounds, it can be VERY disorienting.

I've checked my system's speaker assignments using:

Code:
$ speaker-test -t wave -c 6;

And all the speakers are properly assigned, and all of the native linux apps are working properly as well.

I've tried to determine if this is a WoW or WINE issue, but I couldn't find any Windows-based tools that work the way speaker-test does. I don't have any other regularly-used windows applications that output 5.1 surround sound installed in WINE, so if it is just WoW flipping the channels and nobody knows or can find a way to set the channels right for just WoW, I would not mind completely remapping WINE's speaker assignments.

Basicly this boils down to 2 questions:
1.  How can I remap the speakers for just WoW?
2.  How can I remap the speakers for WINE, but NOT the whole system?

If it matters at all, I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit, kernel version: 2.6.31-16-generic-pae.

Thank you,
Lupusnoctu