[Wine] Final Fantasy XI on FreeBSD/amd64 Unhandled page fault

llwang wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Dec 14 21:15:28 CST 2009

I'm not sure if this is a problem in wine, a problem of FreeBSD/amd64, or a problem in my video driver.

I'm running FreeBSD 8.0 amd64.  NVIDIA recently released version 195.22 (BETA) for FreeBSD http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=142120, which is their first driver for FreeBSD/amd64.  I installed the driver and followed the FreeBSD wiki http://wiki.freebsd.org/Wine#head-6963d527c173e57b1567e881305b544d33435b6d and installed wine 1.1.34 in an i386 chroot environment.  There are reports of people running FreeBSD 8.0 amd64 using the new NVIDIA driver successfully playing World of Warcraft in wine installed this way.  I tried to run Final Fantasy XI the same way, but without success.

The installation and version update were successful.  I was able to run pol and login.  After I click on the play button, a "Program Error" dialog box would pop up, saying that the program pol.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close.  The last few lines of the output before it died were:

fixme:d3d_surface:surface_init Trying to create a render target that isn't in the default pool.
err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 58
err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 64
err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 58
err:ddraw:PixelFormat_WineD3DtoDD Can't translate this Pixelformat 64
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x34e7c4,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_CreateIconFromANI Loading all frames for .ani cursors not implemented.
[...]
fixme:imm:ImmGetDescriptionW (0x4090409, 0x0, 0): semi stub
fixme:imm:ImmGetDescriptionW (0x4090409, 0x16cd38, 9): semi stub
fixme:imm:NotifyIME IMC_SETCANDIDATEPOS
fixme:imm:NotifyIME NI_SETCANDIDATE_PAGESIZE
fixme:imm:NotifyIME NI_SETCANDIDATE_PAGESTART
fixme:imm:ImmGetOpenStatus (0x15e240): semi-stub
fixme:d3d_surface:surface_load_ds_location No up to date depth stencil location
fixme:d3d_surface:surface_load_ds_location No up to date depth stencil location
fixme:d3d_surface:surface_load_ds_location No up to date depth stencil location
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x7f873308 (thread 0100), starting debugger...

However, the debugger never came up, and I couldn't get a register dump or a backtrace.  If I try to attach the process using winedbg at this point, I would get an error 5.  If I attach the process before it crashed and continue, the error dialog box and unhandled  page fault message would not come up, but the program still hangs at the same point.  What more can I do to try to determine where the problem may be?