[Wine] wine and vmware

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 07:21:32 CST 2009

> as you said vmware is a program like hole computer  inside a computer,but you said that it is slow ,why it is slower than wine while >it access directly to hardware,and as

vmware is slower because it emulates a whole second computer inside
your real machine. Not all of the emulated machine accesses the
hardware directly. The slowdown also depends highly on the
application. As a programmer I see the slowdown daily. It typically
takes 2 to 10 times longer to build applications. The graphics is also
significantly slower and the hard drive is much slower. I believe
memory allocations are slower on vms versus real hardware.

>i know wine has not access hardware directly?

Yes but it uses a single driver that has direct access to the device.
vmware in a lot of cases is using 2 drivers and fake hardware.

John