[Wine] Wine desktop "active window" issues

MrGuy wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Dec 17 20:39:06 CST 2009

I am quite new at this Linux thing, and this seems like a simple issue, but I can't figure it out and fail to find any record of the same issue elsewhere. Please forgive me if this has been answered; perhaps I'm just not finding it because I'm not describing it correctly.

I have wine set to run programs in a "Wine desktop" window. If I start the program and never leave, it functions fine. If I ever switch windows, however, I can never get the focus back to the "wine desktop" window. If try to switch back (selecting the program from the taskbar, alt-tab, and clicking the window all have the same effect), I can use mouse input on the virtual desktop, but the keyboard input still goes to the previous window.

I use Ubuntu (Karmic), which by default shows an opaque header bar for the active window, and translucent one for the inactive windows. Even when all other windows are closed, I can never get the Wine window to be "active" again.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any assistance.