[Wine] Re: wine 1.0.1 --- Access from "Office XP" and DirectX

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Dec 23 00:24:12 CST 2009

rekuli wrote:
> I am using Wine 1.0.1

Upgrade, that's more then a year old version. Latest is wine-1.1.35. If can't find one for your distro - compile from source.

rekuli wrote:
> 1. I need to install Office XP's Access

MS Access doesn't work on Wine well/ or at all. See AppDB for more details.

rekuli wrote:
> 2. When I try to install DirectX 9.xc, nothing is done.

Don't, in 99% cases it won't help you. And Wine can't use about 80% of it anyway. If you need some missing dlls, like d3dx9_xx - use winetricks to install them all with 'winetricks d3dx9'.

rekuli wrote:
> 3. is there a method of copying it from an existing w9x/winXP installation?

In most cases - no. You have to install every program on Wine. Some programs can be copied but you are on your own here - this is not supported.

rekuli wrote:
> 3b.  When I run Wine under FVWM (my favourite) or something else, they don't run at all.

Obviously not a Wine bug - report to FVWM developers.

rekuli wrote:
> 3c.  Many programs/games SIGSEGV when I'm trying to run them

Wine by no means complete and nowhere near bug free. Your mileage may vary. All depends on the program. See AppDB for specific apps.