[Wine] Uninstalling programs - new user - can we manually remove?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 10:55:35 CST 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Todd <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Hi.
> I am still fairly new to using Ubuntu and Wine.
> In the past year I have been slowly migrating over to ubuntu and installed linus on all the computers in my home.
>
> One of these computers I installed linux on a partition so that i could still use windows programs to do my work with...
> http://www.orbofday.com/
>
> However, last night XP died on the one partition. Go figure. I have hated windows for a very long time... So now I am forced to install ubuntu on the entire drive because I am not going to buy win 7.
>
> Wine Looks promising though. I'm optimistic that I will still be able to make use of the win apps I like while working in a linux os.
>
> Here's the deal I installed a windows program using wine to test it out and it didn't work. Others have. No biggie. I tried uninstalling it, and it won't uninstall.
>
> I googled stuff. Someone said delete some registry stuff and it will uninstall. It didn't.
>
> So I tried cleaning it out manually to remove it. It didn't.
>
> Is there another simple method to force and uninstall of a program.
>

> I will be reformatting anyways but it would be nice to know for next time how to remove things well.

Read the wine FAQ. It's probably just stuck in the gnome menu and not
really installed. Having a shortcut does not necessarily mean an
application is installed.

Also if you wanted to remove all the applications you installed in
wine a 1 line command in the terminal does this.

rm ~/.wine

This however does not remove anything from the menu. The FAQ will
instruct you how to clean the menu.

John