[Wine] wine 1.0.1 --- Access from "Office XP" and DirectX

Gert van den Berg wine-devel at mohag.net
Wed Dec 23 10:49:08 CST 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 08:49, rekuli <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> thanks to both of you, but:
>
>  concerning dx9: when I want networking to work in wine 1.0.1 from older applications/games, I need to install DX9 completely (already did that), using the replacements winetricks installs doesn't work for what I need.  No bugs occur that I found, and the wine docu says that I can replace everything except the wine kernel itself --- so I did ;-)

Isn't this the issue? http://wiki.winehq.org/DirectPlayGames

Which documentation? The docs outside the Wiki is horribly outdated
and mostly just dangerous...

> concerning Wine under !{KDE,GNOME}:
> *has* to be a wine bug or at least a dependency on certain running stubs or processes, because if it wasn't, it would run under FVWM as it does under KDE/GNOME.  Period.  No further discussion about this.  If anyone knows how to fix this issue, please let me know.

I'm able to run winecfg in a plain X session without a window
manger... Not very useful though.... It also works with twm.... (Which
I had to install first....) (running X with X command as root from
shell... Running Wine as root from another shell with DISPLAY set...
(And, Yes, running wine as root is not a good idea))