[Wine] Legal Issues

ryan woodsmall rwoodsmall at mac.com
Sat Dec 26 13:33:38 CST 2009

> Please clarify clean rooming. If my definitions are wrong or lacking, I would greatly appreciate corrections. I'm a little confused though. How do you prove that you haven't ever looked at the source code of the program you're black boxing?

Information on clean room/black box development is available online.  Maybe try Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleanroom_Software_Engineering
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_box

> BTW, isn't Direct3D proprietary? I'm just wondering why it's incorporated into Wine.

All of the Windows API is proprietary to Microsoft.  Wine is a free software (as in capital 'F' Free)/open source reimplementation of the API.

You're just trolling at this point.  You should ask the ReactOS folks about looking at source code and debugged/disassembled programs.  The Wine project simply doesn't allow that kind of behavior, which is why component tests and conformance across platforms are so critical:

http://wiki.winehq.org/Developers-Hints#head-8494fa344a35867c68b6bdd5e6256e4d8d378308