[Wine] Can't load GDI from background service

hobie wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Dec 27 14:34:15 CST 2009

I am running a win32 application that has a graphics and command line mode; I use the command line mode.  When I login and run from a terminal, it works fine under Wine, but when I run it as a service via a script in /etc/init.d, it fails.  I have it set up so the service runs as my account, not root.

It gives the following messages:

Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
err:systray:initialize_systray Could not create tray window
err:wgl:process_attach X11DRV or GDI32 not loaded. Cannot create default context.
err:module:attach_process_dlls "opengl32.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\Nuke5.0v1\\nuke5.0.exe" failed, status c0000142
Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
err:systray:initialize_systray Could not create tray window
err:wgl:process_attach X11DRV or GDI32 not loaded. Cannot create default context.
err:module:attach_process_dlls "opengl32.dll" failed to initialize, aborting

Is there a way to make this work?

Thanks!