[Wine] Running Spelunky (clearly) URGENT

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 31 22:14:43 CST 2009

Spelunky wrote:
> I want to run a game called Spelunky. It is a .exe file. I followed the directions located here http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/ and have successfully installed Wine.
>
> When I tell it to run the program:
> william-bohrers-computer:~/desktop/spelunky_1_1 williambohrer$ wine Spelunky.exe
> It gives me
> Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
> Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
> err:systray:initialize_systray Could not create tray window
>
> What does this mean, and how do I run Spelunky?

You are on a Mac?

You need to start X11 if on Tiger OR you have to tell Wine where the
display is for Leopard or Snow-Leopard.

I highly recommend using a pre-compiled Wine for Mac.  A search of the
forum topics should bring you to the builds that doh123 has.

If I am incorrect, please advise further with the hardware, UNIX/Linux
distribution you are running and the version of Wine you are using.

James McKenzie