[Wine] Re: Last Wine 1.1.10/11 = pulse sound stuttering

oiaohm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Jan 1 23:12:26 CST 2009

Sorry I forget wine must have around 4GB.  I gave instructions based on how to deal with normal programs under Linux being hogs using ulimit.

Now of course more than 4GB equals problems for some problems.  Bare min ulimit I have found to get winecfg to kick up is ulimit -v 3707585.   So a ulimits between 3707585 to 4194304 would be recommend range.   Note going for the high side would be better than going too low.

Thinking ulimit virtual memory limit when hit causes to wine to respond with  Cannot allocate memory.   Should not break well coded applications instead trigger them to release memory and reuse.

For some of those memory bugs trying ulimit would be highly recommended.   It might be all that is required to prevent.

cgroup is a virtual filesystem that is not mounted by default.   Simplest way its to put a shell in the limited cgroup and use it to run stuff limited.   Basically if mem= works for problem then going to cgroup is the correct way.   Even so there is a chance that ulimit -v could also prevent them as well.

Linux does have lot of good memory control features.