[Wine] Copy data from XP to same app under Wine??

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Fri Jan 2 15:37:01 CST 2009

On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 14:22:02 -0600, Austin English wrote:

> Does it connect over USB? You might try the iPod patches, see:
> http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-patches/2008-May/054483.html

	Thanks for the quick reply!

	Is that the right URL?? It's about iPod something, as you say --
and that right there bewilders me.

	Maybe it's me : I don't do sound on computers, and have never
seen reason to so much as find out what an iPod is. (Something between a
cell phone and a transistor radio, isn't it? I can't get any radio here
that I want within my hearing, and keep my cell phone turned off except
to call out -- very rarely.) So I can't imagine what it has to do with
GPS waypoints ....

	But maybe there's some other way, if a CD and sneakermail are
harder than they sound.

	There are four Fedora 10 PCs on my desk, all behind a USB KVM
switch, and all on my LAN; one of them has the additional XP hard drive,
which I suppose may be on the LAN, too. I can boot that machine, of
course, to either OS, but not both at once, afaik. All of them have Wine
or can get it.

	The XP laptop (a T42 Thinkpad) is also on my desk, and I suppose
on the LAN, though not presently behind the KVM switch.  (It picks up my
wireless connection -- sometimes -- and certainly uses an ethernet cable
from a hub inside my router.)

	I have Samba installed on (I think) all my Fedora machines; if
not, I can install it in minutes. I just haven't ever had occasion to use
it. (I literally boot to XP *only* for the map software, and for only as
long as I have to. If I want a screenshot of a map I've made, I email it
to myself : inefficient, no doubt, but free of a learning curve.)

--
Beartooth Staffwright, PhD, cantankeroous curmudgeon