[Wine] Copy data from XP to same app under Wine??

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Sat Jan 3 15:08:27 CST 2009

On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 16:03:43 -0600, Austin English wrote:
	[....]
> Does the GPS connect to the computer over USB? The patchset enables USB
> driver support, which is mostly wanted for iPod support, but also may
> fix your issue.

	Oho! *That's* the term I didn't follow.

	You have hit a troublesome trouble. No. All of the cables for my
old GPSs have one or other of Garmin's special plugs on one end -- and a
serial plug on the other.

	The little piece of hardware you can hide in your hand, meant to
put between a serial plug and a USB port, is no help even under XP.

	The original serial plug works with XP if the computer still has
a serial port -- but not with Wine (nor CXO, btw, last time I looked).

	The XP laptop, actually, has no serial port of its own. I had to
get a special card, whose external end has what liiks like an ethernet
port; with it comes a little hand-length cable with an ethernet plug on
one end, and a serial port on the other.

	That *usually* works with XP -- not today, for instance, God
knows why. And I don't seem to have a slot for the card on any of my
other machines ...