[Wine] Re: adobe reader 8.x can't decrypt using online authentication

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jan 4 10:10:42 CST 2009

jinhale wrote:
> justin at methuselah:~$ wine --version
> wine-1.0.1
>
> justin at methuselah:~$ uname -a
> Linux methuselah 2.6.27-9-generic #1 SMP Thu Nov 20 21:57:00 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> I use Adobe Acrobat Reader version 8.1.1.  It can open files that don't require decryption online.  I, however, have to connect to an external server to validate my unique user name and password for the pdf files I must read.  This is so I can read my text books online for my online university, CTUO.   I get an immediate error that states I need to connect to the network first before sending my user name and password.  I have tried in vain to get some information from Adobe on the matter, by using their UNIX forums.
>
> Every Linux based application for reading pdf files I have ever used has the same problem.  I have never been able to open a pdf file on my Ubuntu Linux machine if the file requires online validation of a user name and password to decrypt an encrypted file.  This remains the only reason I have to use a windows computer, besides my own.
>
> I'm hoping there is some hkey or something else simple that I can add or modify to let AR 8.x know that I am in fact connected to the Internet.  Any ideas?

This is just a guess, as I've never had to use this feature myself, but have you set your internet connection preferences properly in Adobe Reader itself?  (Edit=>Preferences=>Internet)  The default is direct connection; if you're connecting through a proxy, you need to change this. This applies to both the Windows and Linux versions of Adobe Reader.

Other than that, try upgrading Wine; the "stable" version is old. Normally I'd suggest the latest development release, but there were some serious regressions in 1.1.12, so you might want to stick with 1.1.11 (or build from git).