[Wine] Re: Can't install Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable

Bob Morane wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jan 11 03:33:49 CST 2009

vitamin wrote:
> There are few known issues with that. Use winetricsk to install msvc runtime: http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

That's what i did, but it didn't work that well.

James McKenzie wrote:
> You need to try the last item with a clean wine. 

I was 99% positive that's what i did. Looks like i fell in the other 1%. Completely removed wine and .wine directory, reinstalled wine and tried again. Winetricks allowed me to install vcrun2005 this time.
Note : it didn't install in system32 but in strangely named sub-folders of the winsxs folder.

Now i don't get dll errors, but the app fails to initialize it's openGL display.

WARNING: 3DConnexion Plug-in Error: Could not create Device, CoCreateInstance failed

I tried reverting to metacity instead of compiz-fusion with metacity --replace before running it, it didn't help.
Looks like i'll keep my windows partition in the end. Thanks for your help.

More information about the wine-users mailing list