[Wine] USB and serial

Ben Okopnik ben at linuxgazette.net
Wed Jan 14 11:45:57 CST 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 05:03:50PM -0600, vitamin wrote:

> Ben Okopnik wrote:
> > As far as Wine goes, I've got a link in ~/.wine/dosdevices - in fact,
> > I've created _all_ the com ports that the app recognizes (COM1 through
> > COM9) and linked them to /dev/ttyUSB9. Unfortunately, there's no joy in
> > Mudville: the app does not see the data. Even the nice little feature in
> > its configurator which shows the raw input on any of the com ports is
> > completely silent.
>
> Does your program sees a serial port at all? If not, you might need to add some registry keys.
>
> A google search will show you few locations in registry where some programs might look for available serial ports.

Good question, thanks! I've run 'regedit' and searched the registry, and
came up with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Ports .
Under it, there was a list containing LPT1:-3:, FILE:, and COM1:-5: .
I added COM6:-9: just in case, exported the file, and copied the above
section to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ports
(the plain 'Windows' section didn't have a 'Ports' key.)

I've also just recently learned about WINDEBUG, and running it before
doing the above mod shows lines like

warn:file:CreateFileW Unable to create file L"\\\\.\\COM1" (status c0000034)

Afterwards, the above are only reported for COM5 and up, which I suppose
is a big improvement - presumably, it means that COM1-COM4 are
operational. I'll check that out once I get back to my GPS.

Thanks for the help, all!

--
* Ben Okopnik * Editor-in-Chief, Linux Gazette * http://LinuxGazette.NET *