[Wine] Re: multiple users on LINUX - way to share a single .wine

DaVince wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Jan 15 06:27:26 CST 2009

AlienWolf wrote:
> What about making a dedicated wine user with wine installed in its home directory
> eg /home/wine/.wine
>
> Then when a user wants to use wine they can start up wine or winefile by running the program as that user like:
>
> sudo -u wine winefile
>
> This way everybody will be running as the same user and it might also allow multiple users to run wine at the same time without coruption because they (might) be all using the same wineserver.
>
> Just a guess, can't try it at work because we are being forced to use windoze :(
>
> ~ Alien Wolf

That's an idea...

For Wine itself to simply support multiple users' seperate application settings AND global ones, could it be an idea to have a special location on the disk to which all members of the "wine" group can read/write and have Wine itself have that directory considered the "all users" directory for applications, or something like that? This could enable the whole "install for all users" thing in certain applications to work correctly.