[Wine] Re: I can't install anything in WINE. What am I doing wrong?

nonzer0 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jan 18 22:05:47 CST 2009

Thanks L. Rahyen and vitamin, I figured it had its own directx, but wasn't sure what to do.

OK.  I updated my wine to version 1.1.13, and removed the .wine directory.  I also managed to get COD4 installed, but receive error r6002.I have a few questions now.

1.  What is the wine prefix, and how would it be damaged?  It came preinstalled in ubuntu.

2.  After reading through some forums, it says that I am likely missing dlls and to try using winetricks.  But I also remember reading that you shouldn't use winetricks because it modifies the default files, making it harder to diagnose a problem with wine.  Also, if you use winetricks, not to submit a bug report.  Should I use winetricks, or is there a better way to go about adding missing dlls?

Between work and school, I don't really have any time to play games (I've been playing Treasure of the Rudras on the Wii Virtual Console for 6 months now and haven't beat it) I am just doing this to gain a little bit more knowledge on how to use linux.  I am mainly doing this so friends of mine will be willing to try linux.

So, should I avoid winetricks in order to help the maintainers of the software or is it ok to use it and still report a bug?