[Wine] Setting Resolution Modes in xorg.conf

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Mon Jan 19 22:36:26 CST 2009

On 2009-01-20 (Tuesday) 04:00:21 Kingoftherings wrote:
> Okay, thanks.  I'll try this out.
>
> Also, how do I set up another account to use a different xorg
> configuration, since there is only one xorg.conf?  Just a guess,  but would
> I use ~/.xinitrc?

	If you are using kdm, then you need to edit /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc by adding (or
editing if you already have configuration for :1) these lines:

[X-:1-Core]
# The VT the X-server should run on; auto-assign if zero, don't assign if -1.
# Better leave it zero and use ServerVTs.
# Default is 0
ServerVT=0
# The command line to start the X-server, without display number and VT spec.
# This string is subject to word splitting.
# Default is "/usr/bin/X -br"
ServerCmd=/usr/bin/X -br -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf.g
ClientLogFile=.xsession-errors-1

	Where "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.g" is your xorg.conf for game account, ":1" is
number of display (you can switch to it by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F8; to switch
back to :0 (your primary account) press Ctrl+Alt+F7). In case if your game
account (its X server) stop responding (for example, because of driver bug)
you always can terminate it by pressing Alt+SysRq+K (this is direct command
to the kernel so it will work no matter what if kernel is still alive).

	If you are using gdm you are need to edit /etc/gdm/gdm.conf. See the
documentation (or use google) if you don't know how. In worst case ask me, I
try to give an example (I don't use gdm so I will need to write such example
from scratch, this is why I can't give it now).

	Also, you can run X server manually. First switch to text console (for
example, press Ctrl+Alt+F1). Then login as game user (make sure to create
game user first) and run X server by hand.

	If you need additional assistance feel free to ask more questions.