[Wine] Radeon 4800 or Ati in general viable for wine?

M.Kiesel wine-devel at continuity.cjb.net
Tue Jan 20 08:01:32 CST 2009

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, Zaxth wrote:

> Longtime lurker and user of wine, but I'm about to replace my old nvidia
> card with a newer model and seeing as Ati is open sourcing their
> drivers. I was wondering if I should get a 4800 card, but only if the
> fglrx or x86-radeon driver is up to the task :) Like can it run direct3d
> 9 games like Eve? How about 2d performance in games like fallout 2 and
> planescape torment?

I also wanted to give ATI a try in December 2008 but I really can't
recommend ATI/fglrx neither for Wine nor Linux in general.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.wine.user/36804
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-a96989ff3303c1f6c35a1f85e0680b7f6bcfd16f
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14412#post55326
  (try to spot someone in the forums with a good opinion about fglrx!)

Regards