[Wine] Baldurs Gate Throne of Bhaal won't launch

imatechguy wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Jan 24 14:34:41 CST 2009

According to the AppDB it should work just fine but I'm having some problems and the search for the forums on "Baldur", "Bhaal" and "ToB" give no results.

The game installed just fine.  All the community mods installed fine.  The game config file runs fine except for the display setting sections; after a the automated setting test I do not get the popup asking if I saw the three boxes.  I've got an image of the ToB disk mounted because the .exe wouldn't see the actual disk in my optical drive initially.  I also have tried the compatibility settings in Wine from XP to Win98.

When I try to start the game I get the initial load screen where I click the "Play" button but the menu screen goes away and I'm left with a blank "desktop" area, indefinitely.  If I click on the x to close the window I do get the popup asking if I really want to quite because "Boo will miss you".  Clicking the "no" option returns me to the blank desktop and the "yes" option closes the window.

To launch the game I open the Terminal and type:

Code:
wine "/home/dad/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Black Isle/BG2/baldur.exe"

Which causes this message to display:

Code:
Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working directory '/home/dad', starting in the Windows directory.

Once I click the "Play" button I get this error:

Code:
fixme:wave:wodPlayer_Reset shouldn't have headers left

After that my prompt comes back for a about 2 seconds before this error displays:

Code:
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33857c,0x00000000), stub!

Immediately followed by this error:

Code:
fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0x13a9e8,0x13bf48): stub

And finally I get this error repeated over and over again:

Code:
err:d3d_surface:IWineD3DBaseSurfaceImpl_CreateDIBSection CreateDIBSection failed!

I'm at a loss here because NWN2 works fine and the only real difference in the launch process is that I have the No-CD patch for NWN2.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.