[Wine] Re: Strange error

dow wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Jan 26 16:14:51 CST 2009

Please see this info:

> The Windows 'update' is actually the whole thing, it checks for the presence of particular registry keys before installing.
>
> Create these registry keys before installing the update and you should be good to go:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\EOS Utility
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\DPP
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\ZoomBrowser EX
>
> Reference:http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=6880571&postcount=3

This info works on windows xp.  The installer looks for the appropriate registry key right after the installation routine begins.  If it sees it, then the install proceeds as normal.  If not, then it halts and gives a message saying that it's an update, and that you have to have one of these programs already installed for the "update" to continue.

These registry keys are already in place.  This allows you to bypass the installation of the original programs from the distribution cd.  I had this working on my ubuntu computer, with an earlier version of DPP, although it didn't work 100%.