[Wine] Re: Baldurs Gate Throne of Bhaal won't launch

imatechguy wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Jan 26 20:44:04 CST 2009

I think I just confirmed it's not the install.  I used a tip posted in another thread to move my working ~/.wine directory temporarily to create a new one for testing (thanks to austin987 for that by the way).

So starting with a fresh WINE install I installed Baldur's Gate SoA followed by ToB and the Bonus Content (yes the patch too) and before adding in any mods tried launching the game... Same issue as last time.  I get the Play/Configure/Readme/etc. menu screen and I can click Configure and it brings up the configuration menu just fine.  Everything there works except getting the video setting confirmation pop-up after the display shows the test color squares.  If I try to launch the game, then just like before the dialog screens disappear and only the desktop is shown.  If I close the desktop I get the standard "are you sure, boo will miss you" pop-up.

I did get one new error this time though and two of the same including that last one that just keeps repeating.  It was suggested that I shut down Compiz, but I wasn't running that so I went into the configuration menu to disable desktop effects, then typed these two commands in the terminal:

Code:
kwriteconfig --file kwinrc --group Compositing --key Enabled false

Code:
kwin --replace

 then I logged off then back in again so as I understand it that should have shut down Kwin compositing so there should be no interferrence there, right?  Except that yielded no difference in the error code output.

Below is the new error code and both previous ones that are still displaying when I try to run the game:

Code:
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33857c,0x00000000), stub!

and this one again

Code:
fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0x13a9c0,0x13bf20): stub

and this one just keeps repeating over and over again

Code:
err:d3d_surface:IWineD3DBaseSurfaceImpl_CreateDIBSection CreateDIBSection failed!

I'd really like to get the Baldur's Gate series working as that and NWN2 are my main games and the only real reason I'm still holding on to Windows.

Thank you.