[Wine] Drive Mapping Problem & solution

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 00:05:01 CST 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:22 PM, James McKenzie
<jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> samclam wrote:
>> Just got Wine 1.1.13 on Ubuntu 8.10 tried to map D: to my Windows partition /dev/sda5 /media/DATA but Wine wouldn't keep my choice and reverts to /media/cdrom0.
>>
>> Found out that permissions for ~/.wine/dosdevices/d: were root only and couldn't change them.  So I deleted d: & d:: and made new symbolic links
>>
>> $ sudo rm -r /home/me/.wine/dosdevices/d*
>> $ ln -s /media/DATA   /home/me/.wine/dosdevices/d:
>> $ ln -s /dev/sda5   /home/me/.wine/dosdevices/d::
>>

> Austin was a much nicer than I'm going to be:  Never, ever run Wine as
> root or an adminstrative user on Linux/UNIX.  All sorts of badness can
> and will happen.
>
> Fix:
>
> sudo rm -rf /home/me/.wine
>
> Run wine notepad as me.  This will recreate the .wine directory.
>
> Install all applications that you want to install.  There are known
> issues with several programs and workarounds in the Applications
> Database.  Please take time to read through them.
>
> If you run into a problem, such as a program crash, please explore the
> Bugzilla for previous reports.  If none are found for your situation,
> then please submit one.  If you do find an existing report, vote for
> it.  This lets the developers know which problem affects the most users
> and if resources are available, a fix can be found.
>
> Again, NEVER run Wine as root, it leads to problems.
>
> James McKenzie

That's not _exactly_ accurate.

Rare circumstances require running as root, e.g., needing raw ICMP
permissions or other such issues often requires root permissions on
Unixish OSes. That said, it can be done with POSIX permissions, but
those aren't widespread yet, nor are they often needed for Wine.

The rule of thumb is, unless you know for certain that you need root
permission, you don't. That's why I tried to get a patch to refuse to
run as wine as root, or warn heavily, but AJ disagreed.

--
-Austin