[Wine] Getting an app to run

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 14:21:31 CDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 2:10 PM, Ugha<wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm new to wine (and linux in general) but I've found my experience
> with both to be very enjoyable and I'd like to convert over fully to
> being a penguin. In order to do this though, I must have functional a
> required app on my home network.
>
> This program basically monitors my satellite internet usage and informs
> my entire network how much remaining usage we have (there's a hard
> limit of 425MB per 24 hours that we have to stay under).
>
> Unfortunately, my distro of choice (Puppy) doesn't have its perl compiled
> with threads (Whatever that means) so I can't get the linux version to
> run... so I'm hoping wine will be my solution.

You'd probably be better off switching to a distro that has proper
perl support...If perl doesn't work properly, who knows what else
doesn't work right.

> Long story short, I'm trying to run the hnFAPMon.exe application
> available from here:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/hnfapmon
> It installed fine, but when I try to run it:
>
> Code:
> Unable to create socket on port 6000!
> fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
> fixme:msvcrt:msvcrt_fdtoh wtf
> fixme:msvcrt:msvcrt_fdtoh wtf
> fixme:msvcrt:msvcrt_fdtoh wtf
> fixme:msvcrt:MSVCRT__sopen : pmode 0x01b6 ignored
> fixme:msvcrt:msvcrt_fdtoh wtf
> fixme:msvcrt:MSVCRT__sopen : pmode 0x01b6 ignored
> fixme:msvcrt:msvcrt_fdtoh wtf
> fixme:msvcrt:MSVCRT__sopen : pmode 0x01b6 ignored
> fixme:msvcrt:msvcrt_fdtoh wtf
> fixme:msvcrt:MSVCRT__sopen : pmode 0x01b6 ignored
> fixme:msvcrt:msvcrt_fdtoh wtf
> fixme:msvcrt:MSVCRT__sopen : pmode 0x01b6 ignored
> fixme:msvcrt:msvcrt_fdtoh wtf
> fixme:msvcrt:MSVCRT__sopen : pmode 0x01b6 ignored
> fixme:msvcrt:msvcrt_fdtoh wtf
> fixme:msvcrt:msvcrt_fdtoh wtf
> fixme:msvcrt:msvcrt_fdtoh wtf
>

> I copied a legit copy of msvcrt.dll from my winXP install into the
> windows/system32 directory of the wine install, but the result was the
> same.
>
> I'm guessing that the msvcrt issue is unrelated to why hnFAPMon can't
> create and open a socket for communication on my network.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?

You need to set msvcrt to native. It'd be better to use winetricks to
install it:
$ wget kegel.com/wine/winetricks && sh winetricks vcrun6

--
-Austin