[Wine] Re: WINE install of Dreamweaver MX fails

shobuz99 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Jul 3 15:32:26 CDT 2009

austin987 wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 12:28 PM, shobuz99<wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>
> > I'm sure everyone is tired of my problems, and would rather spend
> > July 4th weekend doing something else. I don't blame you. So would I.
> > It's also my younger son's birthday and he'll be 34 years old.
> >
> > So, I'll just offer an update to all and if anyone wants to; they can jump in and tell me I'm nuts, screwed, and annoying. I won't be offended.
> >
> > I have narrowed things down, somewhat. I run the rm -rvf ~/.wine
> > from terminal, and then run winecfg. There is an error message that scrolls down the screen and then aborts..
> > before it does, I try to read all of the content. I can't finish reading because the machine logs me off Ubuntu and goes to my logon screen for username and password.
> >

> That points to broken graphics drivers.
>

> > When I come back, I am able to run winecfg, with no problem; BUT
> > the drives are not listed in the drive tab and the error complains of mount manager failure, in Terminal output.
> >

> The ubuntu builds have that problem, not sure why. You can compile
> yourself to fix the mount manager problem.
>

> > I have done some research into this and found very little that is helpful or akin to my issue.
> > I'm sure of one thing, Wine has difficulties doing any cfg after it is removed.
> > Even if I go to Synaptic PKg mgr and completely remove it and any other wine related packages including wine-doors, and wine-gecko: and then go through the re-install of all of them.
> > Still the same problems.
> > I have done something or something has changed, during the course. I recall being able to see the drives listed on the drives tab...
> > BTW.. Wine-gecko shows up in several of the error messages that scroll before I am logged off. I have no time to catch all that is listed.
> >
> > Which brings me to a question: Is there a switch I can add to the 'winecfg' command that outputs the error message to a text file or log, and saves it so I can view it when i re-logon?..
> > i.e. winecfg -logfile log.txt or something?
> >

> winecfg &> log.txt
>
> --
> -Austin

Ok. Austin i have somewhere to start.
First: what do you recommend as a fix for the graphics drivers?
Can I reinstall the drivers and recover? if so, your suggested steps 1-2-3..??

Second: I did have drives tab of winecfg working at some point. It clearly listed them and no mount error..
I'm afraid i've no experience running a compile..
I don't know the first step...
What could have messed up Ubuntu in the first place?
I don't remember, but I could have run sudo something that sholdn't have been...is that it?

Third: I like your solution for capturing the errors from wincfg.
If nothing else, at least I can put up those errors here, for analysis and a narrowing down of the problem.

All in all, I really do thank you for your help. Especially on this holiday..
Appreciate it very much

Rick (shobu99)