[Wine] Quicken 2 for Windows

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 4 13:59:12 CDT 2009

dgs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Linux (Fedora 11) and Wine (1.1.18) and am trying to eliminate going back to windows to run certain applications.  Please forgive any transgressions in this post as I assure you they are unintentional.  By the way, Wine (1.1.23) causes Quicken to crash on start up.  Wine (1.1.18) works just fine.

This is what we call a regression.  The range of versions is what I
consider too wide to discover where the problem that causes Quicken to
break (btw, what version are you really using, there is no release
called Quicken 2 that I know of, but I can call Intuit to find out, its
a local call.)  You might want to try and find Wine 1.1.19, 1.1.20,
1.1.21 or 1.1.22 to see where Quicken stops running.  It is possible to
run a series of tests, called regression tests and this will help find
the code update in Wine that caused this problem.  If you are willing to
do so, there is a web page dedicated to this purpose.

> I have spent a couple of weeks trying to figure out what is going on.  There are plenty of Quicken posts, but nothing before V7.  This is V2 which is 16 bit.  I have succeeded in installing Quicken in Wine and it mostly works.  The parts that are not working are fonts and printing.  I installed fonts by using winetricks and selecting all fonts.

16 bit programs may or may not work properly with Wine.

> Finally, the following errors show up in the command line window:
>
> fixme:psdrv:PSDRV_ExtEscape GETSETPRINTORIENT not implemented (data (nil))!

This means the ability to change print orientation (Portrait versus
Landscape) is not implemented, yet.  This should not affect the ability
for you to print a document, but may affect your ability to print
'sideways'.