[Wine] Naturally speaking + Wine better, the audio not so good

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Sat Jul 4 21:21:47 CDT 2009

NaturallySpeaking under wine is working remarkably well considering the amount
of complexity present in both systems.. When I use it, it's just smoother and
feels better than NaturallySpeaking under Windows. My undying gratitude is
extended to all of those that helped.

Here's what doesn't work so well. Audio. Specifically, vxi-b200 USB microphone
In order to use it, I need to turn off pulse audio. And, I need to use it
through the OSS usb mixer interface. Again, since it works in all, that's
probably not so bad.

Now, there is one failure that remains and it's pretty important. When I
dictate, most of the time I do not get any output from NaturallySpeaking for
least one to two minutes.  A small fraction of the time I get the text right
away. Usually my utterances are recognized but sometimes, they get
forgotten/lost as if the audio went away in midsentence.

any ideas as to why I'm seeing this behavior?