[Wine] wine can not open certain files needed

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Mon Jul 6 10:53:47 CDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-06 at 09:30 -0500, clintm25 wrote:
> hi guys i have wine installed on an opensuse 10.3 server,i can run my
> app from the command line,but as soon as i create a shortcut from the
> desktop it comes up with an open error,it cant open certain files,i
> have given the folder 777 rights but it still does not work,i even
> placed my files in a different directory and it still comes up with
> the same error,my launcher is correct(wine "c:\folder name\app
> name"),please help guys

Try this:

1) make a 'bin' directory in your login directory: "mkdir bin"

2) Write a simple shell script which starts with the line "#!/bin/bash"
and contains exactly the commands you typed to run your application from
the command line. Put the script in bin. As an example, here's one I use
this way. It runs XCSoar, a navigation tool for glider pilots:

=========================xcsoar===============================
#!/bin/bash
#
export WINEPREFIX="/home/gliding/.wine_xcs-pc"
cd ~/XCSoar/simulator
wine MobileNavigator/XCSoar-PC.exe

=====================end of xcsoar============================

As you can see, the application has its own wine prefix and 'cd' is used
to move into the program's working directory before the 'wine' command
is run.

3) Make the script executable, e.g. "chmod u+x bin/xcsoar"

4) Check that typing the equivalent of "bin/xcsoar" runs your
application. Fix the script if it doesn't.

5) When its running correctly, make a launcher that runs the script. In
Fedora (another Gnome distro) right-clicking on the desktop shows a
local menu with 'Create launcher'. Select that, browse to the script and
select it.

6) You can often make a nice launcher icon. For instance, XCSoar has a
nice splash screen, so I captured that as a screen shot, used The GIMP
to crop the image to just show the part of the splash screen I needed,
scaled it to 32 x 32, saved the result in bin as a PNG image, and then
edited the launcher to use this icon. To do that, right click the
launcher, select Properties, and click the icon to change it.

7) If you add the 'bin' directory to $PATH you can also run the script
directly: I can run mine by simply typing 'xcsoar'.

Martin