[Wine] Workaround: stuttering legs in WoW 3.1.x

kamikalex wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Jul 7 08:52:55 CDT 2009

Hi there,

I recently found a workaround for the "stuttering legs" bug in WoW, which is currently described in AppDB. It should work for everyone using gnome - so, since this is widespread, I thought it would be a good idea to share the workaround with you.

I noticed that the running animation is all okay when activating auto-run - and that holding down the "run forward" key kind of looks like pressing it repeatedly and very fast... and this is exactly what happens!

So, the only thing you need to do is going to

System -> Settings -> Keyboard (or run gnome-keyboard-properties)

and unchecking the first checkbox (key repetition). You don't need this 'feature' in WoW anyway, and you will notice that the issue is now fixed.

Since this is slightly annoying while using other apps (e.g. when scrolling with arrow keys), I wrote a little shell script that unsets the option before starting WoW, and sets it again after quitting:

Code:

#!/bin/bash
gconftool-2 --type bool --set /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/repeat false
wine Wow.exe -opengl
gconftool-2 --type bool --set /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/repeat true

Save this to a new file, e.g. wow_starter, in you WoW directory (where Wow.exe is located), and give it execute permitions with chmod +x wow_starter.

BUT - do not run this from terminal!!! Doing so will cause a bug like constantly holding down Return, that can only be fixed by restarting your display manager. Just run the script using your mouse, and you will be fine.

Note:
- If gconftool-2 is not found, just try gconftool - this might depend on your version of gnome.
- If you prefer running WoW in D3D instead of OpenGL mode, delete the -opengl token from the 3rd line.

Hope I could help you guys.

kami