[Wine] Re: install totaly messed up

bbunlock wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Jul 9 16:02:50 CDT 2009

Hi Austin

I have never built from source when installing wine, I have only ever used rpm's to install wine and for the most part I have only used yum to install it, I will give you a very brief history of my experience with wine on this server (worked fine on last server)

new server setup so everything was done by loging in as root to begin with so I may have first installed wine as root but I think that is ok as long as I dont use it as root.

so first install possibly while loged in as root
web script that worked on old server no longer worked

when I uninstalled wine the first time I was loged in as super user and not direct root login so I loged in as normal user then su - to log in as supper user (which is root if im not mistaken)

tried script again and still not working, now the install and uninstall went on for a couple of more times but never isntalled via cource, now no matter if its installed or removed via yum there is always a wine working on my system? yum may not say there is but there is.

tried the code for the script while loged in as normal web owner and get the out or range message, tried exact same line while loged in as su - and line works perfect.

have noticed that in the error message left from the web script that it mentions the following "wine: cannot open /root/.wine : Permission denied" which means the wine is being used as root in my web script and not account holder? on old server it ran wine as normal web account owner as I do have a .wine in my home dir.

any suggestions?

regards

wayne