[Wine] Doing better than barely keeping up with bug reports - Bug Day this Monday (July 20)

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Mon Jul 20 02:10:23 CDT 2009

Scott Ritchie wrote:
> So, briefly:
>
> Over the past few months, users have added an average of between 12 and
> 14 bugs every day.
>
> Since June 1st:
> - 412 total bugs filed
> - 87 bugs resolved invalid
> - 227 bugs resolved fixed
> - 133 bugs confirmed but not resolved (status new)
> - 292 bugs created but unconfirmed
>
> Doing some subtraction that means we have 292 new untriaged bugs, but we
> triaged or fixed (412-292-87-227-133) = 327 old bugs.
>
> So, we're swimming above water, which is good.  But at this rate it'll
> be years before we triage every bug.  So, let's do something :)
>

> Bug Jam this Monday!
>
> One idea that has been tried in the past is to hold regular bug days.
> We've had a lot of success with them in Ubuntu as a way of organizing
> non developer volunteers, especially when we focus the event on a
> particular package.  Today's bug day, for instance, tackled over a 100
> Synaptic bugs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBugDay/20090716
>
> I'd like to attempt this in Wine.  We tried it once in the past, but no
> one's organizing it now.  Even if it's just me and 2 people testing a
> handful of bugs in our favorite apps, it'll still sink a good number of
> bugs and help drain the swamp.
>
> I'm picking Monday for bug day for a few reasons - it's both after a new
> release and after the weekend, so users will have already had time to
> play their games and see if they're still affected.  If there's any sort
> of success, hopefully this will become a regular event.
>

> So, if you're into bug triage, please come and join me in #winehackers
> this Monday.  The purpose of triaging bugs is to ultimately get them
> fixed, so if you're a developer and would rather work on patches then by
> all means do that instead.
>
> I've created a wiki page for the event here: http://wiki.winehq.org/BugDay
> When we're done I'll poke bugzilla for some stats and we can see how
> much of a success the event was.

As a specific target, I'd like to work on:
http://tinyurl.com/winebugdayjuly2009

These are all bugs tagged "download" that haven't been touched since
January 2009.  Since anyone can freely download and retest the
application, they definitely seem like a low hanging fruit for easy triage.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie