[Wine] How to use older Versions

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Jul 21 04:41:01 CDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-20 at 21:41 -0500, solar_vibe wrote:
> Using GoboLinux, I compile the versions I want installed. If I want to
> use a different version of Wine, I disable the new version and symlink
> the old version. Example: "DisableProgram Wine 1.1.26", then
> "SymlinkProgram Wine 0.9.58"
>
> Perhaps other distributions of linux have a similar feature.

Debian and RedHat have the alternatives system: run "man alternatives"
to find out about it.

Its designed to switch between different programs that do the same job,
e.g. to substitute Postfix or qmail for sendmail as your MTA, but
there's no reason you couldn't use it to select between Wine versions.

If you find that it is more complex to set up than you can justify, you
can always write a small shell script to do a similar job for Wine.

Martin